Experienced baseball administrator seeking a position as CEO, President or Executive Director of a major national baseball federation or organization
Name: Marc Appleman
DOB: May 9, 1957
Date Available: October 1, 2020
College: University of Michigan
HOME: The Baseball Experience: July 2018 – Present
Chief Executive Officer
- The Baseball Experience will be an immersive, technology-based attraction with a major STEAM component. Through the use of virtual reality, holograms and other cutting-edge technologies, this experiential attraction will be geared to reach the next generation of baseball fans. This 21st century multi-lingual attraction will celebrate the past, present and primarily the future of the game. Our intent is to demonstrate new insights about baseball and to inspire deep emotional connections for fans.
Society for American Baseball Research (SABR): 2010 -2018
Chief Executive Office: 2015 – 2018
Executive Director: 2010 – 2015
- Implemented a new strategic vision and leadership for the 6000-member non-profit organization.
- Averaged double-digit annual revenue growth and established important strategic relationships throughout the baseball world. Was responsible for growth in donations through fundraising and was the architect of a strong membership program for young members.
- Enabled the organization to become a key part of the baseball community. Implemented major deals and worked closely with Major League Baseball, MLB teams, MLBAM, MLB Network, Minor League Baseball, Rawlings, Sirius XM, Baseball Info Solutions and Bloomberg Sports.
- Turned a vision into a reality as SABR launched the SABR Analytics Conference in 2012 during Spring Training in Phoenix. This annual conference is now the leading baseball analytics conference. It has been a financial, branding and creative success.
- Responsible for growing the annual SABR Conference each summer (more geared toward the history of the game). More than 800 people attended the SABR Conference in NYC in 2017.
- Worked closely with the 76 SABR chapters throughout the country and the world, and with 31 SABR committees.
- Launched a very successful website and social media program.
- Established an e-publishing business and upgraded the print publishing program.
- Launched a weekly SABR radio show on SiriusXM.
ESPN New Media
Senior Coordinating Editor
- Launched SportsNation in a major initiative across multiple ESPN platforms. SportsNation — The Meeting Place for America’s Sports Fans is the interactive voice for ESPN. Baseball was a major sport for SportsNation.
Director of Programming
- The AOL Sports Channel was the top sports online destination. Baseball was one of the major sports featured on the AOL Sports Channel.
- Launched the first Fox Sports.com site. Baseball was one of the major sports featured on Fox Sports.com.
Sports Illustrated for Kids
Associate Editor and Director of TV & Radio
- Worked closely with Major League Baseball and top major league players.
Los Angeles Times, San Diego edition
- Covered the San Diego Padres and wrote features on the national baseball scene.
Little League and Babe Ruth baseball
“Dad, Are You Pumped? A Father-Son Baseball Odyssey”