Canadian Starting/Relief Pitcher Throwing Upper 80’s seeking overseas opportunity in 2022
Name: Jordan Smith
DOB: June 20, 1997
Date Available: May 25, 2022Will Pay Flight
Positions (alt): RP
College: University of Calgary
Jordan features four-seam and two-seam fastballs, a change-up, slider and curve. His fastball velocity ranges from the mid- to high-80s (mph). He is currently training with the goal of increasing his velocity to the low 90s.
He focuses on throwing strikes and attacking hitters, and he has good ability to induce ground balls.
In the of 2021, his movement averages, according to Rapsodo, were:
2FB: Horizontal Break (HB): 12″, Vertical Break (VB): 13″
CB: HB: -13″ VB: -10″
CH: HB: 20″ VB: 8″
SL: HB: -4″ VB: 0″
At the plate, Jordan is a good contact hitter with developing power. He averaged .414 with a 1.084 OPS over 150 at bats in senior leagues between 2019 and 2021..
Defensively, he can easily slot in at second base, having played there in youth leagues and collegiate summer leagues.
Although his two most recent college seasons (2020 and 2021) were cancelled due to Covid-19, he has continued training regularly, while competing in pre-season/intra-squad play and in Senior Men’s League Baseball leagues.
Jordan prides himself on being “a high-energy, positive teammate in all situations. In the past, I’ve fit in well with new teammates and love to talk pitching, hitting, and the game in general.” From a leadership perspective, he has evolved from a lead-by-example player to a combination of that and a more vocal role.
In addition, he has significant experience coaching and mentoring youths, something he could apply to any team he is with.
Greatest team accomplishments:
- Prairie Champions (Alberta/Saskatchewan) in Major Little League All-Stars – 2010 – Rocky Mountain Little League (placed 3rd in Canada).
- Norwest League/Alberta Provincial Champions – 2015 – Okotoks Dawgs Academy
- Norwest League/Alberta Tier II Provincial Champions – 2016 – Junior Dinos Academy
- Reached Western Canadian Baseball League (WCBL) division finals: Pitched 4 2/3 innings in relief in Game 5 (0 ER) – Edmonton Prospects
- Co-captain of university team in fall of sophomore year
- Named First-Team All-Conference Pitcher – 2018
- Named the 2018-2019 University of Calgary Club Sports Male Athlete of the Year – 2019
- Hold program records for innings pitched, wins, strikeouts
- Player representative on Calgary Collegiate Baseball Society Board – 2020-Current
- 2018-2019 combined Canadian Collegiate Baseball Conference (CCBC) stats summary (regular season and playoffs of last 2 college seasons): 14 Games (14 Starts, 4 CGs), 85.33 IP, 3.27 ERA (2.68 in 2018), 83 Ks
- 2018 WCBL Regular Season: 27:6 K:BB ratio.
|2017||Camp Coach||Absolutely Baseball Academy||Youth||Worked with youth players aged 5-14 on the basic skills of baseball - pitching, hitting, fielding.|
|2017||Camp Coach||Little Sluggers Camps||Youth||Worked with youth players aged 5-14 on the basic skills of baseball - pitching, hitting, fielding.|
|2019||Camp Coach||Coyote Baseball Camps||Youth/High School||Worked with youth players aged 10-18 on pitching mechanics and pitching approach.|
|2019||Camp Coach||Sidearm Nation Pitching Camp||Youth/High School||Worked with youth players aged 10-18 on pitching mechanics and pitching approach.|
|2019||Pitching Consultant||Cochrane Little League All-Stars||Youth||Assisted with practices for team aged 11-13 with a focus on pitching mechanics and pitching approach|
I had the pleasure of coaching Jordan for 3 years at the University of Calgary. Jordan is a strong two-way player. Very athletic and hard-working. A great teammate and leader. Jordan is a RHP that knows what he is doing on the mound. Strike thrower and competes. Hitting wise, Jordan has some natural bat speed and hit very well for our summer team. Even though he was primarily a pitcher at UofC, he will handle his own as a two way player in Europe. Off the field Jordan has been an instructor for me at some of my pitching camps and has done a great job with the younger players. Jordan will be a great addition for any team on and off the field!
Playing preferences: Europe Semi-pro (ie. Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, France etc.), Europe Pro (Italy, The Netherlands), Australia Semi-pro (State Leagues), Australia Pro (Australian Baseball League)
Living preferences: Private living arrangement (apartment to self)
Return home: I can stay as long as it takes to complete a season
Traveling with a companion: Perhaps for a short term visit
Educational background: Bachelors Degree (BCom.) in Finance with Distinction from the University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business